April is National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Month!
Grilled Cheese sandwiches became a staple during the 1920s and was "affordable" even to poor Americans of the Great Depression Era. Today, grilled cheese is about as American as Apple Pie. Grilled Cheese Sandwiches can be found in households all over America any time of year for any meal.
My husband likes to have grilled cheese with a fried egg in the middle for breakfast. I like grilled cheese with Munster cheese instead of American cheese for lunch or dinner. Our son's preferred way to eat grilled cheese is with American cheese, ham, and Munster or Provolone cheese depending on what we have on hand.
At Harvest Array, we like to do things as easy as possible to save time so we can enjoy more time with our family making memories, therefore this recipe for Grilled Ham and Cheese is made effortless by using an air fryer.
Air Fryer Grilled Ham and Cheese Recipe
Ingredients (for 2 sandwiches)
- 4 slices of your favorite bread - Italian, French, White, Wheat, whatever you have on hand that is fresh, will work.
- Ham - enough to cover the bread. This Easter is April 9th this year. If you have ham for Easter dinner and are looking to use up leftovers, this is a tasty way to do it!
- You can also use your favorite deli ham sliced. Our favorite is Ham off the Bone sliced very thin, or as we say in western Pennsylvania, "Chipped."
- Cheese - again, add as many slices as you like. Cheddar goes great with ham but use whatever you like best. Try more than one type of cheese if you love cheese. Try Swiss, Provolone, Munster, American, or even Pepperjack to add some spice.
- Mustard - desired amount (Yellow, Dijon, spicy brown) or horseradish for an added kick.
- Butter - enough to cover one side of each slice of bread.
Preheat Air Fryer to 350°F. Butter one side of each slice of bread and set aside. Gather cheese, ham, and mustard of your choice. Once air fryer is preheated, carefully open the basket and place two slices of buttered bread, butter side down, in air fryer basket. Quickly, but carefully assemble your sandwich. Next, either squirt mustard on top of the meat or cheese or put mustard on the un-buttered side of the bread. Last, place the other two slices of bread, butter side up, on top of each sandwich. Close the air fryer and cook for 4-6 minutes, or until the outside is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
As you can see, you can make this sandwich your own.
- Experiment with different combinations of cheeses.
- Try different meats like bacon, turkey, or salami.
- You can even get your daily allowance of vegetables in by adding things like Tomatoes, green peppers, or avocado, to name a few.
- Try other fun toppings such as, black olives, pickles, and banana peppers.
With all these variables you could make a different version of grilled cheese every day in April or any day of the year. You may even find a new favorite.
Thanks to Everything Air Fryer for the basic how-to recipe and photo.