Beef Tips Shepherd's Pie Recipe for St. Patrick's Day Dinner
Shepherd's Pie is a traditional Irish comfort food of hearty meat and potatoes. With St. Patrick's Day rapidly approaching on Friday, March 17, 2023, I thought this would be a great recipe to share.
Some of you may be Irish Catholics and have noticed that this year, St. Patrick's Day is on a Friday during Lent. Check with the Bishop of your local diocese to see if there has been a dispensation allowing you to eat This flavorful meat and potato dish that day.
Beef Tips Shepherd's Pie Recipe
Prep Time: 5 Minutes, Cook Time: 1hour 30 minutes.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 pounds beef tips cut into about 1inch pieces (you can also use stew beef)
- 1 medium onion – diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic – minced, about 3 cloves
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (I use the concentrated version in a tube)
- 3 cups beef stock (bone broth can be used)
- 1 cup red wine (stock or water can be substituted)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 pounds red potatoes – scrubbed clean
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup half & half
- ¾ tablespoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
Heat olive oil and butter in a dutch oven. Add beef tips and brown, working in 2 batches. Remove from pan and set aside.
Add onions to the pan with beef dripping and cook about 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute being careful not to burn. Add flour and stir to incorporate. Cook for 1 minute then add tomato paste stirring all ingredients together. Pour in stock, red wine, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Stir. Cover pot, leaving a vent and simmer beef for approximately 1 and ½ hour until sauce has thickened. If sauce becomes too thick, add water, about ¼ cup at a time.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Cut potatoes into large chunks. Add the potatoes to the pot and pour the chicken broth over the top.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set to high pressure for 8 minutes. Quick release the pressure and drain the potatoes, reserving cooking liquid. Place the potatoes back in Instant Pot bowl and mash with a potato masher. Add butter, half and half, and salt and pepper, garlic powder and stir to combine.
- If you do not have an Instant Pot, just put the cut potatoes in a pot with 1/2 water, 1/2 chicken broth to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. Drain the water and place potatoes back in the pot. Add the remaining ingredients and mash with a potato masher or electric mixer.
- Get in the spirit of St. Patrick's Day and add green food coloring to the mashed potatoes!
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Put cooked beef tips along with sauce in a deep dish pie pan. Spoon mashed potatoes over the beef and smooth to cover. Bake for 45 minutes until top is golden.
- Serve with your favorite green sides and dessert for St. Patrick's Day!
Leave a comment