This recipe is dedicated to all the busy moms, dads, grandparents, guardians, etc., on Halloween that are trying to get a warm dinner into their little ghosts, goblins, princesses, and pirates before they throw on their costumes and head out the door in search of the best tricks and treats in the neighborhood!
Meatball Mummies Recipe
- 1 roll of prepared Pizza Dough
- 18 cooked meatballs (homemade or frozen-defrosted)
- 6 strands uncooked spaghetti
- 12 edible eyeballs (cheese & olive pieces)*
- 1 Tbsp. melted butter (optional)
- Pasta sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut pizza dough into thin strips, approx. 1/4" wide
- Thread 3 meatballs onto a strand of uncooked spaghetti (this is to hold them in place)
- Begin wrapping dough around the meatballs stretching and crisscrossing until the meatballs are covered and resemble mummies. Don't forget to leave a space open at the top for eyes!
- Gently remove the spaghetti strands and and place on a parchment lined pan.
- Bake 19-23 minutes or until browned. Remove from oven, brush with melted butter and add on edible eyeballs.
*For Edible Eyeballs:
- Mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese (a brick or slices for desired thickness of eyes)
- Black olives, (could also use zucchini or eggplant)
- 2 different size straws
- If using brick cheese, cut slices to desired thickness
- If using black olives, cut off the sides so the pieces lay flat. If using zucchini or eggplant, cut off a piece of skin the thickness of your cheese.
- Use the larger straw to poke the eyes out of the cheese slices. Then use the smaller straw to poke the middle out.
- Use that same small straw to make the dark part of the eye by pushing the straw through the desired vegetable. It should fit right in the middle of the cheese.
- Place the eyes on the Meatball Mummies.
- Enjoy your Meatball Mummies with a side of your favorite marinara or pasta sauce.
- Instead of brushing with plain melted butter, try brushing them with garlic butter...to ward off the vampires!!!